Thursday, March 25, 2010

A bib that covers all

So now that you have seen Lauren feeding herself and the mess that it makes, you can understand my need for a bigger bib than all of the store boughten ones that I have in her closet.

My mom always had a few bibs that were like this in her towel drawer and this shape seems to make the most sense to me.

She usually has food all over her chest, lap, shoulders and arms along with face and hands of course.

I took out some old scraps of fabric which work great for simple little projects like this. I used cotton. I usually have a burp rag and washcloth handy when feeding her anyway so I am not to worried about making the bibs with terrycloth because that would just add a lot unnecessary expense. Like I said, I'm just wanting to keep the food off her, not wipe her off.

First, I made a pattern out of some more scrap material and then sewed it quick to test and make sure everything would work as needed.

I did learn that I needed to cut my material a little more inside the circle for a seam allowance. If you don't do this then your neck hole will be extra large.

Then I cut out the main fabric to the size of a hand towel.

I stiched around it inside out, turned it out and top stitched around it again.

I also added some velcro to the back for a closure.

This bib has much more coverage than anything else we have in the house for $0.00.

I do think that it could be a little smaller for her right now but she will grow into it.

No comments: