Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Canning Jalepeno and Banana Peppers

I use jalapeño and banana peppers in my salsa so I have them planted in my garden but my tomatoes aren't ready for salsa yet so I have a bunch of extra peppers. Since these are things you can use in or on many other food items I figured I'd give canning them a go.

I found recipe's on the internet.

For the Banana peppers I pickled them.

10-12 banana peppers
1 hot pepper
1 C. white vinegar
1 C. water
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. dry mustard seed
1 t. peppercorns
2 cloves garlic

Bring vinegar, water, salt and mustard seed to a boil.

Sterilize your jars. For this I just stick them in a glass dish w/ a little water in the bottom and stick them in the microwave for 5-6 minutes.
This is a pic from when I was doing pickles but you get the idea:


You'll also want to sterilize your lids. To do this I stick them in some boiling water.


While things are boiling/sterilizing cut up your peppers



Also cut up one hot pepper.

When all that is done, grab a jar, fill it with the peppers, the slices of your hot pepper, peppercorns and garlic. You might want to layer in the garlic, hot peppers and peppercorns. Pour boiling brine over. Leave 1/4" headspace.

Wipe the top of the jar to make sure there isn't anything to hinder your seal and put your lid and ring on.

You should give them a water bath at this point. I didn't and they sealed just fine. If you aren't going to give them a water bath, make sure you work quickly enough that everything is all nice and hot.

I think this recipe will give you a pint jar.

I however don't use a ton of peppers and only wanted a few at a time for putting on a pizza or nachos or something like that. I used the 4 oz. jelly jars.


That's it for those.

For the Jalepenos I also found a recipe online.

10 cups jalepeno peppers sliced (you can also use this recipe for banana)
2 cloves garlic
4 cups white vinegar
2 tsp pickling salt

Sterilize everything and boil your vinegar and salt.
Pack jars w/ peppers and 1/2 clove garlic
Pour brine over and leave 1/4" headspace.
Wipe top of jar, put lids and rings on.
Water bath (or not if you so choose)

I did little jars again but I'd guess this recipe is going to make you maybe 3 pints.

I would leave both of these sit for a few weeks before eating.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Jess~ you are so good! We also planted those same three items and have a ton of peppers Iwas thinking of canning but trying to find time with Max.... You will soon find that out!