Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fondant Cake - Second Attempt

Here is my second attempt with fondant frosting. I made a cake for the 4th of July. I made the fondant from scratch this time instead of using the Wilton kind. It's super easy. Just take a bag of small marshmallows and put a tablespoon of water in them. Then melt them. Grease the counter thoroughly with Crisco. Dump half of a 2 pound bag of powdered sugar on top and then stir until slightly mixed. It will be hot! Careful! Then dump this mixture on the counter and add more powdered sugar. Grease hands as well. Knead. Add more powdered sugar and crisco as needed. If the fondant is tearing, add a little more water. If possible wrap in saran wrap and put in ziplock bag over night so there will be no powdered sugar clumps.

Here is the cake!





Chris said it looked professional and everyone else liked it a lot! I think I should have used fondant for the whole thing instead of the buttercream stripes but I'm still learning! All in all a success!

Here was my first attempt. Only back in April but I've learned a lot since then by reading online and by watching Ace of Cakes on Food Network. I used the Wilton fondant which was harder to work with, didn't knead the coloring into it and didn't know how to fix the hole I made in the side.






No comments: