Monday, November 17, 2008

Gone Huntin'



My family hunts. Even many of my female family members. Not me though. I never wanted anything to do with it. It's not that I'm against the killing of animals for food. That isn't the case at all. Sitting outside for days on end in the freezing cold weather DOES NOT appeal to me. No thank you.

Adams family doesn't hunt. He has some uncles who do but it isn't a big thing with them. But this year, he decided he wanted to join my family. So my dad let him borrow his brand new gun and he went out into the cold and sat with my dad for hours and hours on end. Since it's his first time he sat with my dad in his blind. Since we have had so much rain lately, there is still a lot of corn in the fields and the deer are hanging out there instead of in the woods so they didn't really see a whole lot happening. After many hours of sitting there in the freezing cold I guess they decided it was time for Adam to go out on his own. After only 5 minutes of being on his own Adam got his first deer! I'm so proud. My dad got one at about the same time and Adams was much bigger :)

It's also a lot of work. We do our own butchering. The deer must go from this:


I won't show you all the pics I took this weekend but it goes through multiple steps until it looks like this:


Then we send this to the locker. They will be making us some jerky and grinding up the rest so I can make whatever I want to with that later. It'll probably get turned into more jerky in the dehydrator and some summer sausage. It was a successful weekend and Adam will be joining them again next year.

No comments: